Chicago Marathon October 12 2014
Many people in Chicago Land are getting ready for the Chicago Marathon which is Sunday 10-12. There are about 45,000 participants expected and it is sunny in the 50's and no clouds. Many roads are being closed off for the event and besides all the people involved in the event, there are many spectators who will be out to watch and have a good old time. The whole city has been planning on this event for quite while.
The Chicago Tribune says:
"About 45,000 participants will run the 26.2-mile route winding through 29 city neighborhoods. The route first heads north through the Loop to Lincoln Park before winding back south and west to the West Loop and then south to 35th Street in Bronzeville, finally ending in Grant Park. At the latest, all roads are expected reopen by about 4:30 p.m."
These are the main closures for the Loop area, starting as early as 5:30 a.m.:
• Columbus Drive from Randolph Street to Roosevelt Road
• Jackson Drive from Lake Shore Drive to Michigan Avenue
• Balbo Avenue from Lake Shore Drive to Michigan Avenue
• Congress Parkway from Columbus Drive to Michigan Avenue
• Monroe Street from Lake Shore Drive to Michigan Avenue
• Westbound Roosevelt Road from Lake Shore Drive to Michigan Avenue
You can check out the Marathon Web Site too.
It is a great challenge for people who have trained for this event and fun time for the city and people who are visiting.
If that is too small to see, check out this link BOA Chicago Marathon map