An appealingÂ front yard can ramp up your homeâ€™s curb appeal without costing a fortune.
If youâ€™re planning to sell - or even if youâ€™re not - itâ€™s a good idea to keep the outside of your home spruced up.
Following are five ways to up your yard
1. Think like a drive-by viewer. Your home may tell a very different story when seen from across the street. Is there an attractive transition from road to front porch? Does it feel welcoming?Â
2. You donâ€™t have to splurge on a landscape designer to create a new look for your front yard. While youâ€™re viewing your property from across the street, look at it as a whole. Consider the â€œhardscapesâ€ like your porch, front door and walkway and the â€œsoftscapesâ€ like plants, hedges and trees. Create a focus by painting your front door a different color, and keep the rest simple.Â
3. Peeling paint and cracked sidewalks say something about the way you maintain the house as a whole. Some elbow grease and a bit of paint can do wonders for your homeâ€™s curb appeal. Keep hedges clipped, leaves raked, lawns mowed and the kidsâ€™ toys stored out of sight.
4. Curved flower beds are more welcoming than a straight display. Choose plants and foliage that complement your exterior paint scheme and support the mood youâ€™re going for. Bright colors like yellow, orange and red are attention getters. White is vibrant at night, and pale colors convey a calm mood.
5. Donâ€™t forget about lighting. Make it easy for visitors to navigate your walkway and find your front door at night.