Home > Blogs > New York > Kings County > Brooklyn > New York City tenants - What is HP- Proceeding?

Michele Cadogan, SRES,SFR's Blog

By Michele Cadogan | Agent in Brooklyn, NY

New York City tenants - What is HP- Proceeding?

New York City- HP Proceeding

New York City tenants if your landlord has failed to make much needed essential repairs, you may have to file a HP proceeding to force the landlord to make repairs and correct building  violations. 

A tenant can bring a case against a building owner in Housing Court to get an order to correct the conditions. This case is called an HP Action.  An owner's failure to make  repairs or provide  important services may be a violation of the New York City Housing Maintenance Code or the New York State Multiple Dwelling Law. In an HP action, a judge can order the building owner to correct the violations. To start an HP proceeding against your building owner, go to the Clerk's Office at the Housing Court in the county in which your apartment is located.  There you will be givena form  called an "Order to Show Cause Directing the Correction of Violations-  you should list all the conditions that need to be addressed in each room of your apartment and public areas in the building. You do not need a lawyer to start an HP case. For more information about HP actions, visit the website of the New York State Unified Court System.

When you are ready to buy or sell Brooklyn Real Estate feel free to call me at 917-861-9166

Michele Cadogan,SRES,SFR



Fillmore real Estate

Brooklyn Real Estate

Licensed Real Estate Associate Broker

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer