By now you've heard it's a "sellers' market!" There are fewer homes for sale everywhere including Wayland, Sudbury, Concord, and the towns west of Boston. Sellers are getting multiple offers for their homes, some in just a few days, and we're seeing sale prices higher than asking again. All good, right? Of course, everyone has been waiting for the market to turn!
Well, maybe not everyone! Some of you who thought you would wait until the Spring to get moving are now finding yourselves in unchartered waters and it's a bit overwhelming.
Here are a few tips to you succeed:
1. Buyers and Sellers - Be prepared; get pre-approved for a mortgage before you look at houses. Sellers, you are most likely going to buy another home. Before you put your house up for sale, know what you can afford to buy.
2. Sellers - make sure you have a somewhere to stay in case you sell before you find a new home. Can you stay with relatives or friends? How about a short-term rental? That is going to be difficult to find in the suburbs, especially if you have children and or pets. Check out your options before you list your house.
3. Sellers - make sure your home looks its best, make all necessary repairs, and above all price it right! When the media tells you it's a "sellers' market" it's easy to think you don't have to fix things and that you should ask a higher price. Home buyers in any market expect your house to be updated and with all systems working, especially when they're paying higher prices. Even in a bidding war, they won't overpay! As busy as the market is, I'm still seeing price reductions and expired listings that did not sell.
4. Buyers - don't waive mortgage and/or home inspection contingencies unless you're paying cash, or are 100% your mortgage positive that your loan will be approved including the lender appraisal; and really understand the condition of the house. Even if it means having to wait for another house; it's not worth losing your deposit or finding out after you move in that the house needs repairs you can't afford. Common sense should alway prevail.
5. Buyers and Sellers - Contract with an experienced and well-educated Realtor who understands how to negotiate the ins and outs of the current market and can make sure you have all the informatoin you need to make the decisions that are right for you. In this faster-paced market, stress is high and every detail matters. Your agent needs to be there for you from beginning to end and every step in between to ensure the process ends in success!
More at www.marilynmessenger.com - search for homes and get the latest market information for Wayland, Sudbury, Maynard, Stow, and Acton MA. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org when you need an experienced real estate broker to get you through the process.