Home > Blogs > Wisconsin > Milwaukee County > Milwaukee > Milwaukee County Home Repair Loan Program

Karen Wenzel’s Blog

By Karen Wenzel, e-PRO | Agent in Milwaukee County, WI

Milwaukee County Home Repair Loan Program

We know that many people are concerned about keeping their homes in good repair- but sometimes things need attention at times when we don't have the money available.

Milwaukee County has a Home Repair Loan Program available to income qualified homeowners for almost any repair that they may need to do to the structure of their home. This program has no application fees, pre-payment penalties or any other costs.  The loans carry a variable interest rate that runs from zero to 3%.   Maximum qualifying income is based on household size : 1 person (37,900) 2 persons ($43,300) 3 persons ($48,750) 4 persons ($54,150)  5 persons ($58,500)  These income levels are 2008 figures.

The amount loaned and the term of the loan is determined by the work to be done, the equity you have in your home and the money you can afford to pay.    Milwaukee County staff will inspect the work upon completion and arrange payment to the Contractor upon homeowners approval.

If you have questions or wish to apply call:  414-289-6417

I hope you find this helpful!!

Comments

By Adam Kielpinski,  Thu Mar 19 2009, 13:42
Don't forget about the great Tool Rental Program from Housing Resources Incorporated. For a $25 annual membership fee, you can rent out many tools for free (hammers, saws, etc.), and for the larger tools you only have to pay a fraction of what you would pay at Home Depot, Menards, etc.

The only catch is, you must live in the city of Milwaukee and you must own the home.

Housing Resources Incorporated
1405 W Lincoln Ave
Milwaukee, WI 53215
(414) 383-7071
By Christellajuarez@yahoo.com,  Thu Jul 15 2010, 06:00
Also City of Milwaukee-DCD-Neighborhood Improvement Development Corporation has grants in Targeted Invested Neighborhood areas (TIN) for homeowers and we offer an EMERGENCY low interest loan for owner occupied Milwaukee home owners, more information visit http://www.mkedcd.org/housing/nidc

*Also, City of Milwaukee has a grant for $20,000 - $30,000 for those interested in buying a foreclosed home, more information visit http://www.milwaukeehousinghelp.org

Feel free to contact our office, 414.286.5608 (Se habla espanol).

Christella Juarez
Office Assistant (NSP)-Here to Serve,

NEIGHBORHOOD IMPROVEMENT DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION
In partnership with the Department of City Development, City of Milwaukee
Phone: 286-5608 Fax: 286-5447 P.O. Box 511730 Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53203
809 North Broadway n Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
By Sprucesquad,  Wed Sep 22 2010, 07:10
Home repair involves the diagnosis and resolution of problems in a home, and is related to home maintenance to avoid such problems. Many types of repairs are "do it yourself" (DIY) projects, while others may be so complicated, time-consuming or risky as to suggest the assistance of a qualified handyman, property manager, contractor/builder, or other professionals. Repair is not necessarily the same as home improvement, although many improvements can result from repairs or maintenance. Often the costs of larger repairs will justify the alternative of investment in full-scale improvements. It may make just as much sense to upgrade a home system (with an improved one) as to repair it or incur ever-more-frequent and expensive maintenance for an inefficient, obsolete or dying system. For a DIY project, it is also useful to establish limits on how much time and money you're willing to invest before deciding a repair (or list of repairs) is overwhelming and discouraging, and less likely to ever be completed.

Spruce Squad is dedicated to the real estate and default mortgage industry and specializes in quick, inexpensive property inspections, construction management and maintenance. Our team is comprised of maintenance managers, general contractors and architects. Our clients include insurance companies, asset management companies, property managers, agents and homeowners.
Home maintenance
Home Repair
By Timmay2010,  Tue Oct 12 2010, 05:48
Don't forget active the great Way Rental Show from Construction Resources Merged. For a $25 annual body fee, you can return out more tools for unhampered (hammers, saws, etc.), and for the large tools you only jazz to pay a cypher of what you would pay at Institution Entrepot, Menards, etc.

Mortgages For First Time Buyers

By Renee,  Mon Feb 7 2011, 13:13
i have been trying to reach u guy's since jan,1 2010 when i was told the programm was going to b accepting app. there is never and answer,nor is their a way i can leave a message please contract me at 414.640.3706
By Iris,  Wed Apr 6 2011, 06:21
I think that it's great that we have all these different resources to apply to, but people are failing to mention the strict and stupid guidelines to qualify for these grants and loans.

The Milwaukee County Home Repair Loan was out of money last time that I checked. I had been calling for several months and by the end of 2010 in December I finally got a hold to someone and was told to call back in January to see if funds were available. I have been calling since January, the month is now April, and have yet to speak to someone to see if funds became available. I don't think I need to leave any more messages.

As in regards to the NIDC Programs, these people suck big time. I applied for the low-income home emergency loan program (HELP) and was told my income was too low to qualify. I asked them what is the minimum income limit and was told there is no minimum income limit there is only a maximum income limit. The minimum monthly re-payment of the loan is $50. So, they basically said I can't afford to repay $50 per month which is really insulting when I know I can afford that. My credit is clear and my score is fair, so that was not a concern. And yes, they did keep my application fee. I guess my income was high enough for that.

As for the TID Program with these uncaring individuals, I was denied due to the home having a lot of work to be done on the inside of the house. Even though, the grant is only for the outside of the house and the grant would cover everything that's needed to be done on the outside, they denied me because of the inside. Yes, he denied me for the grant to repair the outside of the house, but in the same month he reported me to the City of Milwaukee for outside violations. Also, he would not write out a scope of repairs that was needed in which it is a part of his job. I feel if you can deny me due to the repairs, you should be able to complete your job and note what repairs are so significant that you do not want to help me. So, basically the NIDC is saying my income is too low to qualify for the City of Milwaukee low income grants and loans, but my income is not too low to pay the City of Milwaukee fines and application fees to help middle income homeowners receive these grants and loans. My home is not in an area to qualify for the TIN Program. This program helps with the inside of the home repairs. It seems to me as if the NIDC doesn't really care about developing the City of Milwaukee. They prefer to keep the already developed homes developed.

As for the grants when buying a foreclosed home. This is a match program. You have to match whatever they give you. If you qualify for 25,000 you have to match that 25,000. If you only qualify for 10,000 you have to match that 10,000. And be sure to apply before you close on the house. There is a portion of the application that they have to complete and I waited over a month for them to complete this section. HUD finally faxed it back on the day of my closing, which they knew that I was closing that day. The HUD representative that was at the closing knew that I was waiting for this form to send off my completed application and no one, not even my realator interfered and said stop, wait, let's postpone the closing because you automatically disqualify for the grant if you close before applying for the grant. I closed on the 9th, sent the application on the 12th, and denied on the 14th because I closed before sending off the app. I thought I did my research but I guess I overlooked that part..

My realator told me about all this money out here for repairing your home and I can't get a dollar from anywhere.
If anyone has any suggestions please notify me. iriscrystal1981@yahoo.com
By Hc One,  Fri Apr 8 2011, 07:44
Great! It will help us.
By kent.mealins,  Wed Mar 13 2013, 09:55
To the comment left by Iris: Milwaukee County has never run out of money. You are confusing the City program with the County program. They are two different animals. The City program (there are at least two, DCD and NIDC) frequently uses this excuse, and for a long time they would refer people over to the county program.

The County program is for the suburban communities EXCEPT West Allis. That community runs their own department too if you live there. This gets into the funding mechanisms and is too complicated to address here, but this does confuse people, especially those that live in the city which is with the county so they get dismayed that we can't assist them.
By wooten454,  Tue Jul 15 2014, 16:42
I too am frustrated by the promotion of the City of Milwaukee's TIN program, which in fact is a compliance edict not a rehab program as it is advertised. I agree with Iris on many of the facts that she has raised. As the TIN contact person for Borchert Field C.A.R.E.S. in three years only one applicant has actually been accepted in this program. The criteria is rigid and City assessments make it virtually impossible to qualify. I too applied, meeting all the requirements, but after the inspection process took place, more than $2700 worth of unrelated, non-essential repairs were cited (I was looking to replace my roof and the City determined I needed to repair a portion of my walkway, add gutters to my detached garage, replace most first floor windows, among other things). I was told before I could receive $6K out of the available $30k promoted by the City I would have to find funding for those repairs ELSEWHERE. I even gave the Mayor of Milwaukee a letter voicing my concerns, not just as a resident but also the person who does outreach for this program, asking him to review possible policy changes. Did he respond? No, I watched as he passed my yellow legal envelope on to an aide, who also has not responded to my email requests for a reply. I still wonder if this is a deliberate ploy to discourage economic development in certain areas of Milwaukee.I had such belief in this opportunity when we first applied. But it is extremely hard to offer a program to a community that is use to being denied even the most basic tools for self-improvement.