Home > Blogs > Jon R Roberts' Blog

Jon R Roberts' Blog

By Jon R Roberts | Broker in Denver, CO
  • New Tax Law for Landlords

    Posted Under: Rental Basics in Denver, For Rent in Denver, Rentals in Denver  |  January 28, 2011 12:44 PM  |  549 views  |  No comments

    A self-employed service provider such as a gardener, plumber or accountant you hire to perform services for your rental activity is an independent contractor for tax purposes -- and not your employee.


    As such, your tax responsibilities toward him or her are modest. The general rule is that whenever you pay an unincorporated independent contractor $600 or more during the year for business-related services, you must:


    1.   File Internal Revenue Service Form 1099-MISC reporting how much you paid the workers; and

    2.   Obtain the workers' taxpayer ID number.

    The IRS imposes these requirements because it is very concerned that many independent contractors don't report all the income they earn. To help prevent this, the IRS wants to find out how much you pay independent contractors and make sure it has their correct tax ID numbers.


    Until this year many landlords were exempt from this reporting requirement. Only landlords whose rental activities qualified as a business were required to file Form 1099s with the IRS. Landlords who were only investors were not required to comply with these reporting requirements.


    However, the law has changed. Subject to some important exceptions noted below, starting in 2011 all landlords must comply with the 1099 reporting rules, even those who are investors for other tax purposes.  So if you haven't filed 1099s in the past, you may have to start doing so for independent contractors you hire for rental-related work in 2011 and later.


    But there are some exceptions to this new rule. The following groups of landlords who are investors need not file 1099s:


    1.   Landlords who obtain substantially all of their rental income from renting their principal residence on a temporary basis;

    2.   Landlords whose annual rental income is less than a minimum amount to be established by the Internal Revenue Service; and

    3.   Other investor-landlords for whom complying with the reporting requirements would cause hardship -- the IRS will adopt regulations providing guidelines on what constitutes a hardship.

    Starting in 2012, you'll have to file a Form 1099-MISC for each unincorporated service provider who performed services for your rental activity and who was paid more than $600 during the year (all payments made over the entire year are added together for purposes of the reporting threshold).

  • Denver Rental Market continues to tighten - Part II

    Posted Under: Market Conditions in Denver, For Rent in Denver, Rentals in Denver  |  January 25, 2011 8:55 PM  |  501 views  |  No comments

    University of Denver’s Gordon Von Stroh puts out 2 reports each quarter on Residential Multi-Family properties.  I wrote about 1-4 unit properties the other day, here are some details for 5+ Unit properties.  Contact me for more detail, this report breaks down into geographical area, size, age and more.

    -   Denver Metro Wide Vacancy: 5.5%.  Down from 7.7% 4th Qtr 2009

    -   Denver Metro Median Rental Rate: $846.  Up from $811 4th Qtr 2009

    -   Stat:  There are 289,389 Apartment Units in Denver Metro (only includes 5+ unit buildings), 498 Units were added to the market in 2010… the 2nd lowest in 30 years.

    -   6,827 Units were absorbed in 2010, the 2nd most in 20 years.


    As mentioned in my message earlier this week with 1-4 unit properties, the rental market is super tight and the trend is likely to continue.  With interest rates still at historic lows, now is a great time to lock in a fixed cost and ride the trend of increasing rents driven by decreasing vacancy. 


Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer