natural disasters can be forecast — hurricanes, snow storms and, in
some cases, flooding. Other disasters occur unexpectedly, such as
tornadoes and earthquakes.
As a homeowner or renter in Parkland , it’s a safe idea to prepare
for a disaster or an unexpected emergency. Every home should maintain a
ready, working emergency kit for such a time.
Here are some items to include in your home’s emergency kit :
- Waterproof Container : Store items in a locking, plastic container
- Battery-Powered Radio : A small radio can receive weather updates
and emergency broadcasts. Pack extra batteries, or use a hand-crank
- Light Source : Pack multiple flashlights and many spare batteries.
LED flashlights are more expensive than “older” flashlights, but won’t
lose battery power as quickly. Pack candles and matches, as well.
- Water : Pack bottled water, storing larger bottles in a cool,
separate place. Add several bottles of sport drink for variety, if
- Food : Pack non-perishable food such as canned fruits and
vegetables; protein sources such as peanut butter or canned tuna;
crackers and cookies; nuts and dried fruits. Remember to pack a
can-opener, if needed. Include plastic utensils, if necessary.
- Blankets : At least two blankets should be packed. Consider packing
multiple sets of clothes, for different temperatures and seasons.
- First-Aid Kit : A proper first-aid kit should include antiseptic,
bandages, aspirin, an ace bandage, and allergy medicine for allergic
- Emergency Contact List : Include a list of your local utility
companies; phone numbers at which to contact friends and loved ones;
and, your primary care physician’s number.
After packing your emergency kit, make sure to store it in an
easy-to-reach location away from power lines, power sources, and any
place that may be “extra dangerous” during a crisis. For example,
storing an emergency kit in a garage or a shed may be safer than storing
it in a basement or in a bedroom closet.
In an emergency, a little bit of preparation can go a long way. Be prepared and be safe.
Click here to Search Parkland Homes
Click here to Search Coral Springs Homes
Click here to Find Out What your Home is Worth
View my listings at http://www.jonklein.com
Click here to search all Parkland Homes for sale