1. ROOF SYSTEM
- Flat roof covering.
- Sloped roof covering.
- The roof drainage systems.
- The exterior wall covering, flashing, exterior trim.
- The exterior doors, windows and window wells.
- The attached decks, balconies, steps and porches.
- Eaves, soffits, and fascias, where accessible from the ground level.
- The grading around the house.
- The down pipes and the down pipes extensions.
- The garage gas proof, the garage doors and garage door operators.
- Drive ways and walk ways.
- Basement walk-outs.
3. STRUCTURAL SYSTEM
- The accessible structural components of the foundation and super structure.
- The floor structure, wall structure, ceiling structure.
- Floor rattling and squeaking.
- Roof structure (trusses, joists and metal & wood sheeting).
- Steel beams, wood beams and columns.
- Suspended concrete floor slabs and slab on grade.
- Wall bearing and joist hangers.
- Fire separations.
- Cracks in the foundation walls, settlement and frost up-lift.
- Under ground garage leaks and basement leaks.
4. ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
- The service drop, service equipment and the service grounding.
- The interior components of service panels and sub panels.
- Location of the main electrical panel.
- The size of the service.
- The ground and arc fault circuit interrupters (GFCI)& AFCI.
- Representative number of electrical outlets.
- The type of the distribution wiring (copper, aluminum or knob & tube).
5. HEATING SYSTEM
- The heating equipments (roof tops, furnaces, boilers)
- Furnace efficiency (conventional, mid efficiency &high efficiency).
- Type of fuel (gas, oil, electricity).
- Baseboard heaters, fan heaters, radiant heat.
- Air filters and electronic, electrostatic air filters.
- Adequate air for combustion.
- The vent system and the flues.
- Duct system (air supply & air return).
- Heat recovery ventilation (HRV).
7. AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEMS
- The central air conditioning systems
8. PLUMBING SYSTEM
- The location water meter and the main shut-off valve.
- The interior water supply and distribution systems.
- The functioning of all plumbing fixtures and faucets.
- The location of the hose bib shut-off valve (inside the house).
- The water pressure.
- The location of the main floor drain.
- The condition of the caulking & grout in the showers & tubs.
- The insulation in the attic.
- The insulation and vapour barriers in unfinished spaces.
- The â€œRâ€ Value of the insulation.
- The ventilation of attics.
- The mechanical ventilation systems for the washrooms & kitchens.
- The ventilation of the furnaces, hot water tanks & dryers.
- Check vent pipes to make sure they discharge outside of the building.
- Check that the vent pipes are insulated to avoid any condensation.
- The walls, ceilings, and floors.
- The steps, stairways, hand railing and railings.
- Representative number of doors and windows.
- Presence of smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detectors
- Evidence of water leaks in the basement.
- Evidence of water leaks around the windows.
- Squeaks in the floor.