Shards of history remain in Cherokee County
to remind of a time out for most county residents.The county is proud of the preservation of several sites dating back to the 19th century.
Local historic sites include;
The Cherokee County
Courthouse,established in 1927,is the only one of its kind-a building faced in blue marble quarried along the Valley River;
The robert Lafayette Cooper house,build around 1890,is one of the only full expressions of Queen Anne-style homes in Cherokee County;
Harshaw Chapel and Cemetery,created around 1869,was gifted to the Methodist church by early settler Joshua Harshaw and is a part of Murphy First United Methodist Church;
The John Franklin Cobb house in Bellview was built around 1861 and is famous for being where baseball Hall of famer Ty Cobb spent summers with his grandparents;
The Franklin Pierce cover house in Andrews
,built around 1900,was the residence of F.P. Cover and Sons Tannery,a major Andrews industry during the 20th century;
The Walker Inn in Andrews
,guilt around 1844,was an important wayside inn and stopping place on the road to Franklin;
The Firet Baptist Church in Andrews,built from 1900-24,features classical revival architecture. It is now home to the Valleytown Cultural Arts Center and used for recreation,culture and theaterThis comes from the Cherokee Scout
www.mountainwineandhomes.comÂ Murphy North CarolinaÂ Your Mountain View Specialist, Jack Shingler Broker, Coldwell Banker High Country Realty 866-835-8500 or 321-279-1049 Jack Shingler.