I will have a really classic double lot (50x125)Â renovated farm house coming on the market this month.Â 6334 W Newport is located on the western edge of Portage Park neighborhood.
Â People enjoy the area due to it's many nearby parks and family atmosphehere.Â There is also many shopping options.
South facing two-story cedar shingle sided Colonial home with nine foot high ceilings on a double city lot on quiet street in Portage Park / Dunning neighborhood. Built as farmhouse in 1887, the house has only had five owners (the first two were the builder and his son for nearly the first 100 years of the home).
The home has been well-loved and well-maintained. The family room, library, and all three bedrooms boast original hardwood floors. The doorknobs, kitchen / hallway, and bedroom doors â€“ as well as much of the crown molding throughout - are also believed to be original to the home.
There is an abundance of storage. Upstairs each bedroom has a good sized closet, there is a walk-in closet / sewing room, and the bathroom has a linen closet plus vanity cabinet storage. Downstairs is a walk-in coat closet. The kitchen has lots of cabinets, a stand-in butlerâ€™s pantry, and pull-out drawers in the lower cabinets. The partially finished basement has built-in storage (closed cabinet, built-in bookshelves, a separate storage area, a root cellar / wine cellar).
The house is warm in the winter, cool in the summer with large Elm and Pine trees to provide additional coverage. The open floor plan is also great for entertaining. The rooms are large (all three are true bedrooms that can each easily accommodate a full size bed plus furniture), and the homeâ€™s original charm is complimented by updated fixtures (many from Restoration Hardware), colors, and stone flooring in the large kitchen leading to the 900 square foot deck. The two-car garage has alley access with additional storage for yard equipment.
At the end of the street (6100 West Newport) is one of the cityâ€™s first Chicago charter public school programs. Neighborhood:
There is shopping within three miles north or south of the home (Harlem Irving Park Mall, Brickyard Mall, and corner of Irving Park and Narragansett).
Parks: Merrimac Park at Irving Park and Narragansett
was renovated two years ago â€“ it has new pathways and playground equipment (including a small splash area with sprinklers for children in the summer). Shabbona Park
is located approximately one mile west of the house on Cornelia where there is an indoor swim area, mile running track, fields, tennis courts and other playground equipment. Approximately two miles north of the house is Wright Community College which also offers memberships to their athletic equipment and Olympic size swimming pool. HOME IMPROVEMENTS
6334 West Newport Avenue
Chicago, IL 60634GENERAL
1. ADT Security System (installed Fall 2008)
2. Custom fit decorative radiator covers throughout
3. Professionally painted foyer; also newly painted family room,
nursery, guest bedroom in â€œPottery Barnâ€ colors.OUTDOORS
4. New 900 Square Foot Wooden Deck (treated and sealed summer 2008)
5. Landscaping â€“ perennials (hostas, irises, pachysandra, flower boxes, tulip border in front)
6. Outdoor Electrical OutletINDOORS
7. Radiator / Heat in Kitchen
8. Spring Door Entry for French Doors
9. New Copper backsplash&under-cabinet lighting (stove)Family Room (former Dining Room):
10. New Ceiling Fan and Light
11. Polished Floors â€“ original pine floorboardsLibrary / Red Room:
12. Installed heat source / restored radiators
13. Built-in bookshelvesBedrooms:
14. Installed heat source â€“ radiators in all three bedrooms
15. Complete renovation of guest bedroom (new ceiling, crown and baseboard molding, paint)
16. New closet system in nurseryBathroom (upstairs)
17. Updated fixtures
18. Newly enameled bathtub
19. New Rain shower showerheadBasement:
20. New Frontloading Washer & Dryer
21. New Hot water heater
22. Reroute plumbing from catch basinGeneral Features:
2 Car Garage Parking
||Laundry area - inside
||Balcony, Deck, or Patio|