Preparations for Thanksgiving are already beginningâ€”and stress levels are rising. Why not make the day a little more pleasant for everyone by following these simple tips?
- Make side dish that require the same oven temperature as the turkey, and cook them simultaneously. This reduces oven operating time and heat in the kitchen
- If you have a convection feature on your oven, use it. Convection works by circulating air in the oven, reducing temperature requirements and cooking time (and, it reduces energy usage by around 20%)
- Turn down your thermostat â€“ the oven will keep the house warm. And if you have a ceiling fan, use it to circulate the heat from the kitchen throughout the house
- Use glass or ceramic pans whenever possible. These materials retain heat, resulting in faster cooking time at lower temperatures (around 25 degrees lower)
- Lids are key â€“ who wouldâ€™ve known? Stove top cooking with lids on your pots speeds up heating time and retains the heat of the prepared food once theyâ€™re cooked
Itâ€™s really that simple.Â