Home > Blogs > Colorado > Douglas County > Highlands Ranch > Correct Placement Of Your Carbon Monoxide Detectors Is Crucial!!!
6,062 views

Highlands Ranch Real Estate Info

Dawn Tieken - Prestige Real Estate Agent

By Dawn Tieken | Agent in Denver, CO

Correct Placement Of Your Carbon Monoxide Detectors Is Crucial!!!

You may have recently installed a Carbon Monoxide Detector in your home.  But home owners may mistakenly think they have created a safe environment by plugging the unit in to an outlet near their floor in a bedroom or upstairs hallway.
According to Tom Quinlan of Quinlan Gas Fireplace - families are not safe when Carbon Monoxide Units are lower than seven inches from the ceiling!  According to this advice - plugging the unit in a typical outlet near the floor creates very little safe guard against Carbon Monoxide poisoning in your home.
Instead, Mr. Quinlan recommends buying a battery operated unit and installing it in a main floor hallway about 6 inches from the ceiling.
If you have already purchased a plug in Carbon Monoxide Detector - it makes sense to have a licensed electrician come to your home to install an outlet closer to the ceiling to use so your already purchased Carbon Monoxide Detector will be effective.
For more information on keeping your home safe contact Dawn Tieken, Prestige Real Estate Group, www.MileHighAgent.com 720-339-8977, dawn@milehighagent.com

Comments

By John,  Wed Jan 21 2009, 13:21
Installed a carbon monoxide sensor next to the hot water heater and Furnace exhausts to the chimney. Did this over twelve yearts ago. What is the useful life of these detectors. Mine has never gone off; how often should the battery be replaced if it runs off the house electricity?
By John,  Wed Jan 21 2009, 13:22
Installed a carbon monoxide sensor next to the hot water heater and Furnace exhausts to the chimney. Did this over twelve yearts ago. What is the useful life of these detectors. Mine has never gone off; how often should the battery be replaced if it runs off the house electricity?
By Eric,  Mon Jul 13 2009, 22:29
What is Carbon Monoxide ?
Many are killed each year and many more suffer ill health from Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning. CO is an invisible, odourless, tasteless and extremely toxic gas. It is produced by appliances burning fuels, such as natural / bottledgas , paraffin, wood, petrol, diesel, charcoal etc. Heavy doses of CO will cause a person to collapse and die within minutes. Lesser doses can cause headaches, drowsiness, fatigue, nausea, vomiting or flu symptoms. CO is absorbed by red blood cells in the lungs in preference to oxygen - this results in rapid damage to the heart and brain from oxygen starvation.

How The CO Alarm Gives Warnings ?

When the alarm detects potentially dangerous levels of CO, it flashes the red alarm light immediately and then sounds a loud alarm if the CO persists. At higher levels of CO the alarm turns on sooner. The rate of flashing of the red light indicates the level of CO. The alarm checks for CO every 50 seconds.
http://www.3mksecurity.com

POST
 
Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer