With warm summer days turning to chilly fall nights, it's important to get your Annapolis home ready for the temperature change before it's too late.Â The following are some ways in how you can prepare your home for cold weather:
- Shrubbery - Trim all plants that are done flowering for the season so that they are healthy and ready toÂ flower when spring comes round again.Â Also, it's a good idea to trim back trees and other non-flowering bushes before winter weather sets in.
- AddÂ SomeÂ ColorÂ - Chrysanthemums flower throughout the year.Â So, if you still want a pop of color during colder weather, add flower boxes to your windows with Chrysanthemums in them or add them to beautiful flower pots on the front porch.
- De-Clutter - Store your gardening tools and pool supplies away since you won't be needing them for several months.
- Make Your Guests Welcome - A new welcome mat and a beautiful natural wreath hung on the door create a warm invitation into your home.
- Add Storm Windows - One of the largest areas where heat escapes from a houseÂ is through window leaks.Â Store away your screens and installÂ storm windows.Â This canÂ easilyÂ beÂ done by you.Â When you take down your screens, make sure to clean out the window sills and add a bit of spray lubricant so that the storm windows will simply slide inÂ easily.
- Gutters - To prepare for more precipitation, including rain and snow, make sure your rain gutters are cleared of all debris so that water can funnel down clearly.Â This will help reduce the chances of water/snow buildup which can lead to roof damage and even flooding.
- Chimney - Now is the time to check your chimney for cracks and damage.Â Do a thorough cleaning of the chimney stack so that all built up soot is cleared.
- Filters - Change your air filters so that your equipment runs more efficiently.
- Water Heater - Completely drain and refill your water heater to get rid of any sediment that has settled to the bottom of your heater.Â This will also ensure that the water heater runs efficiently.
- Heater - Get your homeÂ heater serviced to make sure it runs correctly when the weather starts to chill.
The weather can wreak havoc with your Annapolis home's exterior and interior.Â By preparing your home for cold weather, you will help keep your family and your home snug during the cooler weather.
Curt Hess, your Annapolis real estate specialist