Some Things To Know When Moving To Portland Oregon
As a REALTORÂ® working throughout the Portland Metro area,
I get lots of inquiries from people moving here from other states.
Whatever state you come from, here are are some of the common questions I
1. Does it rain all the time?
No, it actually doesn't rain all the time....especially in the summer
months where we typically have very little rain. Ok..so we do get most
of our rain in the winter months but I bet you didn't know that we
actually get LESS rain on average per year than the folks in New York. Yep..we get on average 3.4" compared to New York's 3.7". Our summers are absolutely gorgeous and the
winters are mild compared to other parts of the country. I know while
most of the country was under snow...we had rain. Oh yeah..I'll take the
rain over shoveling snow every day!
2. Is it true that people from Portland dislike people that move there from another state..especially California?
As a Oregon transplant myself, I can say that I heard this from someone
that I was chatting with from Portland when I was living in Austin, TX.
It was a concern for me, but I can honestly say I've encountered
nothing of the sort! I've lived in all time zones and in different
climates, and I love living in Portland!
3. How are the taxes assessed?
Here in Portland, a good guide to generally go by is that your property
taxes will run 1-1.5% of the market value. When the market shifted and
home values dropped, unfortunately, the taxes didn't drop with them. For
a more detailed explanation about our tax system, check out this link to the Department of Revenue at Oregon.gov
4. Do you use Lawyers in a real estate transaction? Typically, here in Oregon Lawyers are not used in a regular real estate transaction. We use Title Companies
as a neutral third party to the real estate transaction. Unlike other
states, It's actually not common for the buyer's and sellers to ever
meet. All parties sign the documents seperately with the real estate
agents and escrow officer making sure all things move as smoothly as
5. I want to rent before buying. Can you help me find a rental?
Again, unlike many states where you find rentals through your real
estate agent, here in the Portland area most rentals are handled through
Property Management Companies.
As a real estate agent, I don't have any more access to rentals as you
would, but I can give you the names of some Property Management
companies. Craig's List can be a great source, but please know that with
any public sites, there might be some scams..especially with rental
Some other local tid-bits:
* Oregon is pronouned "Or-i-gun"..not Or-a-GON" and the Willamette River is pronounced "Will-AM-ette" not "Will-A-Metty".Believe me, I was corrected quickly!
* By law, you can't pump your own gas. Oh shucks!
* Bike riders are everywhere...so you need to be very alert when driving.
* Some of the best Pinot Noir wine in the world comes from right here in the Willamette Valley's wine country. You can spend a week going through all the wineries and still not get to them all!
* If you're a gardener, you'll be in garden heaven!
* Now..this might sound like an odd
one, but from someone who grew up on Long Island, NY and lived in
Austin, TX for several years, I can say that the humidity levels here
are nothing compared to many other places. My hair hardly poofs out like
it does when I go back east!
* Portlanders hardly use umbrellas. You'll only see them when it's downpouring heavily..but in general, we just go about our business without them.
* Known as America's Microbrew Capital, Portland has more than two dozen breweries!Â
* Of course...we also love our
coffee! Between Starbucks, Stumptown, and Peets as the main shops, there
are so many smaller coffee stands and drive ups all over. Yep..even
If you're moving to the Portland
area, feel free to contact me with any questions you might have! Of
course I can help you find that perfect Portland home too!
Originally posted on my ActiveRain blog
Cindy Westfall ABR,GRI
Premiere Property Group
5000 Meadows Rd., Ste. 150, Lake Oswego, OR 97035
Cell: 503-819-5241 Â Â Â Â Â
E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Â Â Â Â Â
All views on my blog are my own and may not reflect that of Premiere
Property Group. All pictures and content are my own unless otherwise
noted. Please No Copying without my permission.
Â Cynthia Westfall is licensed in Oregon State