Q..How Do You Decide whether to Add on to an Existing Home or Purchase a New One?
A..There are a few things to consider, including cost, individual needs, and what will add value down the road.
Also important: your emotional attachment to the existing home.
designer and builder Philip S. Wenz, the author of Adding to a House:
Planning, Design & Construction, notes, an addition is much cheaper
than building a new home and can offer a â€œnewâ€ home without the
heartache of moving.
Other considerations:Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
- Can you finance the home improvement with your own cash or will you need a loan?
- How much equity is in the property? A fair amount will make it that much easier to get a loan for home improvements.
- Is it feasible to expand the current space for an addition?
is permissible under local zoning and building laws? Despite your deep
yearning for a new sunroom or garage, you will need to know if your town
or city will allow such improvements.
- Are there affordable properties for sale that would satisfy your changing housing needs?
- Explore your options. Make sure your decision is one you can live with â€“ either under the same roof or under a different one.