The Malibu Real Estate Resource Guide
Malibu California Real Estate ×€ Malibu Homes for Sale & Lease ×€ Malibu Land
Help your Septic System with these SIMPLE suggestions
In Malibu, many homes use septic systems to dispose of wastewater.
Wastewater can include water from sinks, showers, washers, and toilets.
1) Try to reduce the amount of water you use. This will reduce the amount the system has to treat,the ground has to absorb, and you have to pay for.
2) DO NOT put OILS, GREASE, or FATS down the drain! These are VERY BAD for your septic system's life and efficiency. Minimize using the garbage disposal, and use the trash can instead.
3) DO NOT put PAINTS, ANTIFREEZE, or PESTICIDES down the drain.
4) DOT NOT put BABY WIPES, SANITARY NAPKINS, CIGARETTES, DISPOSABLE DIAPERS, or other inorganic items down the drain or toilet
5) Fix toilets which may be "running" or leaking water through the bowl. Running toilets are one of the largest wasters of water and put a strain on your septic system. This also applies to leaking faucets.
6) Use septic friendly detergent, preferably a liquid. Sometimes powders are not as easy to process.
7) BLEACH is NOT good for the system. There are bacteria in your system that are working hard to break down all you flush into it. Other products which can kill the "good" bacteria resulting in a less efficient system include some antibacterial products, liquid drain cleaners, and those flush toilet bowl cleaners which contain bleach.
8) Have your system maintained. Simple, routine maintenance can extend the life of the system and prevent costly problems.
A) Do you know where the system and components are?
B) When was the last time an inspection was performed to check the operation?
Just because you do not see the system does not mean it doesn't need special care. Space out the volume of water you put in the system. A slower flow is easier for the system than if all water uses are in action at the same time. The bacteria have time to work rather than being deluged all at once.
9) The City of Malibu's web site is www.ci.malibu.ca.us. City Departments, Environmental and Community Development, Environmental and Building Safety Division, Wastewater Management (Septic Systems),have additional information for your use online. In addition, the Environmental Health Office can be contacted at 3104562489. There are a variety of septic, and/or Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems (OWTS), some are very basic in concept and some are much more technologically advanced. Should you have any concerns or questions, please check with a qualified service professional or the City of Malibu. Septic tips and/or brochures are available upon request at the City of Malibu.
Bobby Lehmkuhl ×€ Bobby@4Malibu.com ×€ 310.365.7696 ×€ Broker Lic. #01457517
Danielle Dutcher ×€ Danielle@4Malibu.com ×€ 805.341.8769 ×€ Broker Lic. #01463653
Material discussed is meant for general illustration and/or informational purposes only and it is not to be construed as tax, legal, or investment advice. Although information has been gathered from sources believed to be reliable, please note that individual situations can vary, therefore, please consult a professional for specific advice.
Follow 4Malibu.com on Twitter & Facebook