Home > Blogs > North Carolina > Orange County > Chapel Hill > Buying Property in Chapel Hill, Apex, Cary, and Chatham County (Part 2, Erosion Control)

Barrett Powell's Blog

By Barrett Powell | Broker in Cary, NC

Buying Property in Chapel Hill, Apex, Cary, and Chatham County (Part 2, Erosion Control)

Buying proper, land, is not as complex a transaction as buying a home in Chapel Hill, Apex, Cary, and Chatham County.  However there are some things you need to know concerning erosion control rules.  Recently, new ordinances have gone into effect that deal with how you have to control erosion on land you own when you go to clear that land to build your home on.  In the past, you simply cleared what land you needed for your driveway, home, and yard and went about building your house.

Nowadays, you must use good stewardship when disturbing your land for clearing.  As a general rule, if you clear more than 25,000 square feet of your land you should consult with an engineer to obtain an erosion control plan.  Under 25,000 square feet, you should consult with the Chatham County Erosion Control Department.  The link to their website is at the bottom of this article.  You can easily have 25,000 square feet of cleared space for a driveway alone if you have a large tract of land you are building on.  Include your home footprint and yard and you are over the 25,000 square feet.

It is always a good idea to have someone knowledgeable of the rules for your particular area to walk you through the process.  I always meet with my clients to make sure they are introduced to the proper departments and individuals.  A good Realtor in your area should do the same.

Click here to go to Chatham County Planning Department for more information:  http://www.chathamnc.org/Index.aspx?page=127

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer