School is finally over and it is time to move. You ask yourself ?Â Should we move now of wait untill summer is over so the kids can spend time with their friends prior to moving. Many parents feel as though they should wait untill the last weeks of summer to end before relocating. Child phycologists suggest that sooner is better then later. Children are very adaptable and can easily adjust to a new situation.Â
Although it is always best moving during the summer period to start the children in school during the begininning ofÂ a new school year, this is not always possible. Given the other alternatives, experts are divided on the best time to move when you have children that are in school. Some experts that it is best to move during the holidays, while others believe it is best to move during the school yead.
If you have the flexibility to choose when you move your family, Â then you should consider a couple of points when making your decision.
Moving during holidays:
- The children are out of school anyway. Their studies will not be interrupted.
- Your children will start the new term with other new kids and therefore may not be considered the new kids on the block.
- Other activities such as sports or extra-curricular activities may begin after major holidays
Moving during school:
- Your children will make friends more quickly because they immediately jump into the classroom environment.
- A quickly established routine may help your children adapt easier.
Given the inherent challenges that both of these options create for your school age children, you will want to carefully way all the factors before making your final decision.Â