In 1916, Harvey Firestone embarked on creating a neighborhood with tree-lined boulevards curved around a central park to accommodate his growing work force. He saw many families of different income levels living together in diverse styles of homes (See pictures). He saw churches, schools and stores within walking distance. Harvey Firestone donated the land if a school, church, bank, library or any other structure would benefit the neighborhood.
Harvey Firestone hired his estate landscape architect, Alling S. DeForest, to design the layout for Firestone Park. Akron officials have pushed the limits of the area beyond its original borders. City publications draw the park as far south as Firestone Country Club, annexed from Coventry Township in 1985.
Firestone Park is located in south Akron; bordering Coventry Twp. Firestone Park has easy access to two freeways, Interstate 77 and Interstate 277 / U.S. Highway 224. The 2000 U.S. census can explain the attraction objectively. It paints a portrait of an educated working-class population with good incomes and home values within driving distance to major metropolitan areas. Cleveland is only 40 minutes away from Firestone Park. Columbus, and Ohio State Football, is an easy two hour drive.
Firestone Park, itself, a public park shaped like the original Firestone Shield emblem, (see aerial picture) is at the heart of the community. It is surrounded by churches, a school, a community center, a new public library, and a small business district, affectionately, called Aster Avenue by us long time Park people. Generations of school children have played in the Park and bought everything from Emil's pizza to Lucky Shoes on Aster Avenue.
Firestone Park has been, and still is, a great place to live and raise a family!