Recently, Jessica Simpson had her precious Malti-Poo Daisy was taken by a coyote in front of her very own eyes.Â Daisy was given to her by her ex-husband Nick Lachey. The singer posted on Twitter the following statement â€œMy heart is broken because a coyote took my precious Daisy right in front of our eyes. HORROR!â€
The area that we call home is one that we share with coyotes. Homeowners in suburban areas such as Calabasas, Hidden Hills, Westlake Village and throughout LA County areas have noticed the coyotes have become increasingly bold over the recent years. They have injured or killed pets, as have bit children and adults. The abundance of food, water and shelter available in suburban environments draws the wily animals into residential neighborhoods, where they soon learn that most humans are not a threat.Â Once comfortable in suburbia, some coyotes become proficient in attacking domestic cats and small dogs as prey.
Here are some prevention tips to share with your family friends and neighbors:
- Keep small pets (cats, small dogs and other pets) indoors from dusk until dawn.Â Â Or keep pets in a coyote-proof yard, area or cage from dusk until dawn.
- Install a fence or convert your fence to prevent coyotes from entering your yard.
- Feed your pets indoors.Â Or if you feed them outdoors do so during the day and never leave pet food out at night.
- Make sure trash is not left outside in bags and that all trash cans have secure lids with locking mechanisms.Â Secure the cans to a fence or wall with rope or elastic cord so the trash cannot be tipped over.
- Install motion sensitive lights in your back yard and around your house.
- Donâ€™t leave fruit, berries or compost on the ground or uncovered.
- Donâ€™t overflow bird-feeders. Hang them high or in areas that are not accessible to coyotes.
- NEVER feed coyotes.
- You can install one or more 7 foot or higher posts with a platform at the top for cats to use as an escape from coyotes.Â The posts need to be made of a material that the cats can climb.Â When being chased by a predator a cat can climb the post and sit on the platform until it is safe to descend and the coyote is gone.
- Clear brush and vegetation to remove habitat for small animals that may attract coyotes and to remove areas where coyotes can hide while stalking their prey.
- Always keep pets on a leash when walking in parks, forest areas or in residential areas.