Holliston was settled in 1659 by Massachusetts Bay Puritans and was incorporated in 1724.Â It took its name for Thomas Hollis, Esq. who was a benefactor of Harvard College.Â
As of 2008, the town's population was 13,901 and has grown significantly over the years from its humble beginning.Â The Holliston School System is nationally recognized and operates at a budget of over $40 million annually.Â
Holliston was once the largest producer of shoes in the country and the major shoe factory in town was the Goodwill Shoe Company.Â The company still has empty factories on Water Street, some of which have been tastefully turned into artists' studios.
The town center is known for its quaint atmosphere with white steeple churches, antique shops, public library, town hall and Fiske's General Store which boasts to have a bit of everything. Holliston Town Green sits in the midst of numerous antique homes and some distinctive Greek revival and Victorian buildings which line the main route going through town, Washington Street or Route 16.Â Â
One of the prettiest gathering places in town is the Goodwill Park on Green Street.Â With tennis courts and a playground the park is an important part of the downtown area.
The Pinecrest Golf Club on Prentice Street in Holliston is open to the public and has been serving the Metrowest area since 1958.Â The 18-hole course features 4,906 yards of golf for all abilities and levels of play.Â Season passes are available to both non-residents as well as residents of Holliston.Â This club has a beautiful practice facility with a 300 yard range, grass tee and putting green. Â There is something here for all local golfers.
Â "Balancing Rock" sits on the north side of town heading into Milford. This huge rock appears to be balanced precariously and has some history attached to it.Â Legend has it that General George Washington led his army through this route and that his soldiers were amused by the rock attempting to tip it over.Â
Mudville Village in Holliston features a statue and plaque dedicated to the mighty "Casey" of the famous poem "Casey at the Bat."Â Ernest Thayer wrote the poem in 1888 and his family owned a woolen mill not far from this site.Â
The Fatima Shrine on Summer Street is famous for its rosary walk, life-size religious statues and inspirational Christmas displays. It is known as a restful haven and a place forÂ quiet reflection.Â
Copyright 2010 "Welcome to the Historic Town of Holliston - MassachusettsÂ Â "
Claudette Millette, Broker, Owner, The Buyers' Counsel - (508) 881-6230